I’ve begun testing out some materials to see which will provide the most “bang for my buck” if you will. Not necessarily in relation to literally cost but in how the material begins and then translates into a crocheted object. For example, last week I purchased 3 yards of fabric (1 yd = 3 ft … so 9 ft in length). The fabric itself is around 1 yard in width as well, you’d think that is a pretty good amount of material and should translate into a decently large crochet piece. After spending a couple hours cutting the fabric into 1-1.5 inch strips and sort of slip knotting them together to create a yarn like structure and crocheting it together, I discovered the exact opposite. The piece essentially came out to be approximately 24 inches in width and maybe 6-8 inches in height/length. I recall having similar sizing breakdowns last spring. A 6ft by 10ft silk image, once crocheted, became approximately 33x 22 inches. The shrinkage of material just really isn’t worth all the work and effort that goes into it.
Remembering that I had a 1000 ft. spool of rope, I decided to see how that would translate as well as to see what the crochet stitches would begin to look like and how it could function as an object specifically with the weight and body of this material. It took me just about 2 hours to crochet this piece and although there is still quite a bit of shrinking happening within the substrate (it’s not a 1000ft or even close to 1000 ft finished piece) there seems to be more room for development with this material. Some things I found interesting about the rope as a material are it’s heavy weight once crocheted into a larger object, the looseness and free flowing nature of it even as a crocheted object, its potential for manipulation through wire and layering, as well as its potential for different texture and size via the diameter of the rope. Below are some images of the rope piece and ways I have begun to think about it’s potential for manipulation and created context through layering via hanging methods.